As the weather heats up, make sure your pets have enough to drink …
Here are a few tips to make sure your pet gets enough water.
In this sort of weather it is important to make sure your pets stay hydrated.
- Water bowls in a variety of spots around your home and refill with fresh water at least once per day. This way there are plenty of opportunities for your pet to stop for a quick drink.
- For cats, keep water bowls far away from food bowls or litter trays, otherwise they may consider the water to be ‘contaminated’. The bowl should be made from a non reflective, non-porous material so that they are not put off by reflections or absorbed smells.
- Some cats will not drink from standing water- in which case water fountain bowls are available. These will filter and aerate the water, making it more attractive to your feline friends.
- Make sure water bottles on your small animal cages are refilled daily too. Try to keep them in the shade so it doesn’t get too warm and consider investing in an insulated bottle (these are handy in the winter too!).
- Make sure you bring water and a travel bowl out with you when going for walks with your pooches. Most water they will encounter in nature, for example from ponds and puddles, can contain nasty bugs that can make your pet sick. Sea water should also be avoided as it is too salty.
Hopefully by following these steps, you and your pets can stay safe in the sun this summer!
If you think your pet is dehydrated, contact us ASAP
Heathfield Vets – Quality Care with a Friendly Face