Halloween is a fun time for us and especially the children, but can be a stressful time for our pets.
Here are a few tips to keep your pets safe and calm on the spookiest of nights, to avoid a real nightmare!
- Walk dogs earlier in the day before trick or treaters come out to play – especially if your dog is of a nervous disposition!
- Consider keeping outdoor cats in for the evening, they may become stressed due to the increased number of people out and about.
- There may be strangers knocking at the door which could cause stress to dogs and cats – so keep pets in a different room, with a favourite toy or treat to keep them occupied.
- Beware of lit pumpkins, keep them out of reach of pets (especially cats who like to climb!).
- Keep Halloween sweets well out of reach of pets – chocolate and xylitol are toxic.
- Dressing up your dog can be fun, there are plenty of costumes in pet shops right now!
- Be careful of outfits that may irritate or cause discomfort and never force a dog into dressing up if they aren’t enjoying it!
As ever, if you have any worries about your pets, please call us on 01435 864422.